"I am always doing what I cannot do yet in order to learn how to do it." Vincent
Van Gogh

Sunday, May 30, 2010

A True Friend





"A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity." Proverbs 17:17

Or, as the NLT version puts it

"A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need."

Sometimes it becomes hard for even the closest of friends to sit down a merely listen without giving advice or trying to fix the problem at hand, but the truth is that most people figure out the answers to their own problems long before they vent or even while they are venting.

Men often lose sight of the fact that women can talk their problems out and solve them in the process.  Very rarely do we actually need to hear a solution to our problems because they come right to us as we speak!

And sometimes, it is difficult for even the closest of friends to turn their ear to gossip or rumors even when their friends are the center of conversation. 

The Word of God says that a true friend loves at all times and is loyal.  I decided a long time ago, that I would always be a true friend even if others were not to me. 

I would always:

Listen without an opinion (oh so hard)
Love without restriction (God's love through me)
Turn my ear from gossip (no matter how much my flesh pulls)
Trust their word (besides gossip, it is not me who hurts if others lie)
Stand by them (even if others turn away)
Honor and Respect them always

Friendship does not mean that you must agree on everything, but when I think of true friendship I see someone who loves me, trusts me, believes me, honors me, and stands by me.

True friendship does not listen to the doubting words of others but stands by their friend in faith that they know what they are doing.

A true friend will guide you away from harm, but also let you learn from your mistakes, and then offer a soft pillow for you to land on when you hit your bottom.

A true friend will say, "Yes, those pants make your butt look big," and then help you go through ten more pairs until you find the one that doesn't make your butt look big even though it actually is big.

What makes a true friend?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for leaving a comment. I LOVE comments!